Friday, 3 MAY 2013

Announcements - we are meeting in the '62 Room of Arvin.  It will be a LOOOONG WOD, so we need to be there on time, warm-up quickly, and then get after it!

Equipment required - water, motivation, and anything else you might need - tape, chalk, towel, etc.

Warm-up and instruction - we will demo the movement standards, discuss the run route, and then get after it!

WOD -

"Murph"

For time:

Run 1 mile - Front of Arvin to Koscuizko Monument and back.
100 x pull-ups (scale - jumping pull-ups and/or lower number of reps)
200 x push-ups  (scale - knees push-ups and/or lower number of reps)
300 x air squats (scale - lower number of reps - try to do full range of motion if your level of fitness and flexibility allow!!)
Run 1 mile

NOTE:  You can partition reps of each exercise as needed - example:  If you can do 10 sets of 10, 20, and 30 of pull-ups, push-ups, and air squats if you'd like or try to blast through each exercise before moving to the next...it's up to you!

NOTE2:  Scale as needed!!!  Murph will take between 35 - 60 minutes depending on your fitness level.  If you need to lower the number of reps in order to complete it before formation, by all means do it!  Also, the point is NOT to hurt yourself doing more than you are capable of....so set a realistic goal and go for it!!

NOTE3:  If you really want to you can wear body armor/20 lbs. weighted vest.

Post time to comments.


MURPH 


Michael Murphy
In memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, NY, who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005. This workout was one of Mike's favorites and he'd named it 'Body Armor.' From here on it will be referred to as 'Murph' in honor of the focused warrior and great American who wanted nothing more in life than to serve this great country and the beautiful people who make it what it is. 


10 comments:

Mickey said...

10 min swim test tomorrow. Going to have to make this one up on saturday or later on friday.

Caleb McDaniel said...

So I am really really bummed that I did not get to workout with you guys this morning. On Sunday night I had food poisoning from something I ate that Morning. I went to Keller early Monday morning and they put me on quarters. Sunday through Wednesday I was not feeling well at all and ended up loosing about 7lbs. I felt better on Thursday and I am feeling pretty good this morning. Either way I wish I could have done Murph this morning but I came to cheer you on anyway. Good job guys!

Adam said...

glad to see a big crew this morning! Murph is always TOUGH and it was great to see everyone battling through! Be sure to DRINK lots of water to help recover!

45:30 as rx'd (includes pausing for flag/cannon at Revielle)

I started with 7 sets of 10/20/30, but couldn't keep it up for the push-ups, so ended with final 3 sets of 10/10/15/10/15. The final mile 'run' was more of a shuffle. About 2 minutes slower than last time.

R.K. Barker said...

That was fantastic. I love doing Murph. I broke it up into 20 sets of 5/10/15 and that worked really well. Second mile was definitely slower than the first. 37:35, about 3-5 minutes faster than last year's Murph.

jck said...

40:47

Awesome workout. I broke it up into 20 rounds of 5/10/15. My body is making me pay for it though

Mickey said...

Okay so not 10 minutes swim. i thought it had changed but i guess i need to listen better. side stroke test today 9.5 out of 10.

5 minutes practice swim afterwards. discovered i probably need to be swimming more so i dont die on thursday when we actually take the test. Looks like i figured out my workouts for next week

Caleb McDaniel said...

Though probably none of yall will see this, I'll post it anyway!
Well I decided to suck it up and do Murph today, I was feeling pretty good. Got 41:01 as Rx'd. 17 minutes better than in January this year. Of course, I did wear a weight vest on the runs back then.

Mickey said...

2 nice PRs today.

350# 1RM for deadlift (+15#)

130#x2 for Strict Press

I'll be doing Murph tomorrow as soon as Arvin opens up.

ErinM said...

Caleb, awesome job. And thanks for being there this morning.

A sad 47:24... Calluses ripped at about 60 pull-ups.

Also did my APFT yesterday afternoon:
67 push-ups, 101 sit-ups (PR), 13:44 run. Felt terrible for the run, but am excited about the rest!

Mickey said...

was out till 4am last night as part of a search party. Murph is probably not going to happen with me. I did however run several miles searching last night.