Friday, 10 MAY 2013


Announcements -  We are going to take out the Firsties in style with our 5th and final partner WOD of the week - the summer edition of WOD for Warriors!

Meeting location - RIVER COURTS!!!!!!  Weather is supposed to be dry the rest of the night, so we will head to the River Courts.  Link up at 0535 by the Crew House and start your warm-up upon arrival!  

Equipment required - bring chalk, tape, gloves, a towel, or whatever else you may need to do the WOD!  I would recommend a towel to dry off pull-up bars!  

Come say goodbye to Jared, Nels, and Nate and wish them well as they graduate and move out to join the ranks of the Long Gray Line!   We will have some light chow for cadets after the WOD.

WOD for Warriors happens twice a year - Veteran's Day and Memorial Day - and over 60 different CrossFit affiliates across the US and abroad will be doing the same WOD in honor and remembrance of past, present, and future Veterans.  This edition of WOD for Warriors is going to be a smoker and a perfect way to end a great year of Black and Gold CrossFit!!!  We will still have WODs every day of TEE week and Grad Week, but I know everyone will be scattered...so this is our last chance to get everyone together!


The WOD:
"21 Guns - A Memorial Salute"
Partner #1:

21 Pull-ups
21 Burpee Box Jumps 

(we will use the rocks - there are various heights)
21 Firemans Carry Back Squat
21 Burpee Box Jumps
21 Pull-Ups

Partner #2 executes
Partner #1 again
Partner #2 again

The 21 reps signify a 21 gun salute, the 5 exercises are one for each Branch of the Military. Executing with a Partner signifies the bonds we aim to create between our Nation's Warriors and the communities they grow in and return to, and doing it twice reflects the fact that we honor both the living and the deceased. 

NOTE:  For Fireman's Carry Back Squat - pick-up your partner on your back and do a squat.  Scaling option is 'partner pick-ups' - simply pick-up and put down your partner.
NOTE2:  We will demo each of the exercises.
NOTE3:  Check out the WOD for Warriors website  if you want more info about WOD for Warriors.

Post partner's name and time to comments.

10 comments:

Mickey said...

32:14 w/ my trusty sidekick Andrew Bovard.

Had to kind of box squat him off a rock cause he has like 40# on me.

all my pullup sets were unbroken, pretty happy about that. great workout, came danger close to puking on several occasions.

great experience with everyone, no regrets getting up this morning at all.

PS - MRS MAJ Grim => your quiche was amazing!

R.K. Barker said...

That was a ton of fun. I loved having the WOD down at the River Courts, really awesome! I partnered up with Caleb and we got 30:52. MAJ Grim and MAJ Radik, just want to say again how grateful I am for all that you have done for us.

Unknown said...

I completely forgot to time me and my partner. I partnered up with a cadet we sponsor, Kevin Schultz. I agree with R.K. it was a lot of fun.

Thanks to MAJ Grim and MAJ Radik to getting me hooked to CrossFIt,i love it. joined CrossFit New Windsor for the summer till Black and Gold starts back up again.

Matt said...

Aloha (it means hello and good-bye),

I had a blast being a part of B&G for the last two years (three if you count me following the WODs from Hawaii). I can't express how thankful I am for your little gift this morning. It was fun to run with it back up to Arvin.

I partnered with Adam. 28:40
Our squats weren't great, but what can we do, squating your buddy is tough.

jck said...

27:15 with Nels

Thanks morning crew for the motivation the past few years. Pics to follow of me and my new rings and my tank!

Caleb McDaniel said...

Fun workout today!
To the firsties, it was nice to get to know all of you this semester. Good luck when you join the regular army!
MAJ Grim and MAJ Radik, thank you guys so much for all that you have done. I appreciate your hard work and effort.
This community is one of the things I love about CrossFit the most. There is a big difference when you work and sweat with someone compared to just walking into a gym. It was a blast this year!

Adam said...

wow, what an incredible way to end an awesome year! Thanks to everyone for coming out and doing the 21 Gun Salute!

Thank you all for the very generous gift - I will keep it on my desk as a constant reminder of all the great times, great WODs, and great friends over the past 3 years. Being a part of Black and Gold is BY FAR the best part of my West Point experience this tour. Class is great, cadets are great, but cadets who do CrossFit routinely are the BEST! I've spent considerably more times with most of you than any of my students!

Jared, Nels, and Nate - congrats in advance on your graduation and commissioning! You all will do great in the Army and I know your platoons will benefit from the time you spent with Black and Gold! I'm glad to know there are young fired up leaders who will help make fitness in the Army more than just push-ups, sit-ups, and long runs! jck - can't wait for the pix of rings on a tank!

To the rest of the morning crew - it has been a real pleasure getting to know each of you over the past year(s)!! Best of luck in your futures and keep Black and Gold going strong! As I said this morning, as long as there are cadets willing to join together and collectively suck down some tough work-outs, there will ALWAYS be Black and Gold CrossFit! I look forward to digitally stalking you on the blog!

Matt - thanks for your coaching, mentorship, and friendship! You were always a great partner who pushed me beyond my perceived capabilities!

If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to hit me up on AKO: adam.grim@us.army.mil
3, 2, 1....GO!!!

Nate said...

31:33:33 w/ Bryce

Great WOD this morning. Great crowd.

It's been a great year getting to know everyone and do the B&G WODs. Definitely a great motivator, despite being at 0530.

Adrienne said...

33:33 with Erin. Awesome WOD.

So grateful for the entire B&G crowd - you've all made coming back this semester a lot easier. Many thanks to MAJ Grim and MAJ Radik, good luck to the firsties, and see the rest of y'all in the fall!

jswobe said...

I did this solo, resting at a 1:1 ratio.

Totally sucked.

44 minutes and some change (with the last added rest period...)